[Samba] Win2k file Synchronization with Samba PDC. Offline Browsing Problem

S C sono at codebaby.com
Mon Jul 29 13:33:02 GMT 2002

Hello All,

    I am having a small problem with some of my users.  I am moving my office from a Windows NT workgroup to a Samba PDC.

    I have a few users that use the off line browsing feature on Windows.  This allows them to access files when they are no longer connected to the network. Essentially keeping a cached copy of the file server on their local drive.

    My user had marked certain folders on the server for offline browsing.  When he is logging off the network, win2k goes through and makes sure everything is synchronized.  He will then go home and log in under the domain again, and use a cached copy as the PDC is unavailable.  All the offline folders show up as well as all the files, but none of them are accessible.  He can come back to work, login to the domain and access the files again no problem.

    I think I have narrowed the problem down to:
        1.  The permissions on the file are being checked against on the PDC, but the user is not actually logged onto the domain and there is no PDC to actually check the rights.  Would one assume I am correct?

Sooo....if anybody understood what I said:)...does anybody have solution?

Cheers and Thank You
Sono