[Samba] Samba 3.0alpha18 PDC and winbindd 3.0alpha18 client communication

dwerder at printeron.net dwerder at printeron.net
Mon Jul 29 13:09:02 GMT 2002

The question is, does the group mapping on the PDC working yet in alpha18
and is it possible for winbindd to talk to it properly?  I am having
difficulty on having the group information being passwd to a linux
fileserver.  Has anyone successfully gotten this to work?

Dan

More info follows on my environment.

My environment consists of a samba redhat 7.3 PDC and samba redhat 7.3
fileserver.  The winbindd daemon is running on the fileserver and
communicating with the PDC.  Doing a 'getent passwd' or a 'wbinfo -u'
returns the expected users.  If I try a 'getent group' no domain groups are
returned.  And if I try a 'wbinfo -g'  there is old cached group data that
makes it look like it worked once upon a time.
When the 'getent group' is run on the fileserver the error log on the PDC
for the client is as follows
[2002/07/29 15:59:02, 2]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:access_check_samr_object(90)
  _samr_open_group: ACCESS DENIED  (requested: 0x0ffff41f)
Maybe someone knows the explanation of this error?

My nsswitch.conf on the fileserver contains the winbind entries for passwd
and group.

I have used the smbgroupedit command to create the domain groups from the
unix groups.

The smb.conf on the fileserver is as follows.

[global]
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind use default domain = true
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind cache time = 5
   log level = 1
   winbind cache time = 900
   null passwords = yes
   lanman auth = yes
   nt acl support = yes
   workgroup = VOLKSWAGEN
   server string = Test Samba Server
   load printers = no
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 5000
   security = domain
   password server = *
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   wins server = 172.16.10.96
   dns proxy = no

#========================== Global Share Definitions
=========================
   dos filetimes = yes
   follow symlinks = no
   hide dot files = no
   inherit acls = yes
   inherit permissions = yes
   printable = no

==============================
[Test]
   path = /smb/test
   valid users = werderd
   writeable = yes
   public = no

A relevant subset of my smb.conf on the PDC is as follows:

[global]
   netbios name = JETTA
   workgroup = VOLKSWAGEN
   server string = Samba NT PDC Server
   time server = yes
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log/%m.log
   log level = 2
   pid directory = /usr/local/samba/var/run
   max log size = 1000
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
   local master = yes
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes