[Samba] 2.2.5 Unable to authenticate users: no ldap secretretrieved

Junko harm.kirchhoff at mx10.ttcn.ne.jp
Mon Jul 29 10:25:45 GMT 2002

Thanks for the tip. However, it will not work.

I compiled Samba 2.2.5 using "./configure" (WITHOUT any additions such as
ldap support.)

#smbpasswd -w root
Setting stored password for "" in secrets.tdb

#smbpasswd -a administrator
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
Bind failed: Can`t contact LDAP server.
Failed to add entry for user administrator.
Failed to modify password entry for administrator.

Which makes sense, since there should be no LDAP server running.
But why should samba try to open an ldap connection at all ?
Any idea why Samba does not use the smbpasswd file but tries to use ldap ???

Any suggestions ? Ideas ? Hints ? ...