[Samba] Win2k, Samba 2.2.5 and LDAP [Success]

drgn65 at ufl.edu drgn65 at ufl.edu
Sun Jul 28 20:00:03 GMT 2002

Thank you very much Eddie for all your help. I succesfully got 2 win2k
machines and an XP machine to join my domain.  I did have to do a few minor
adjustments though, so I figured if someone else had this issue they could
share from my experience as well.

First, I had already added accounts for these machines in /etc/passwd and in
the LDAP directory.  So I deleted those accounts.  After doing your smb.conf
adjustments and adding ou=Computers.  I tried to just change the name of the
computer and join the domain.  No success.  Then I added the computer to
/etc/passwd and tried to rename the computer in order to join the domain.
No success.  Finally, I changed the name of the computer but I changed it to
a Workgroup instead of a domain.  Rebooted the computer.  Then once rebooted
I changed it from workgroup to domain and I got "Welcome to the Domain" and
I received success.  I did this for the other win2k machine and XP machine.

using the script in my smb.conf did not add the computer to /etc/passwd.  It
did however add the computer to the LDAP tree but only once and in
ou=People. Although, just realizing this now, in my smb.conf I don't have
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pm I just have
/home/some_user/samba-2.2.5/examples/.../smbldap-useradd.pm.  Might that of
made the difference as to why the computer wasn't added to /etc/passwd?

Anyway, it all works now.  Thank you so much for your help.

-Peter