[Samba] Slow login, a solution maybe interesting for other people

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sun Jul 28 07:04:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

My problem was that I had a slow login into Samba shares (I use the
share-mode), opening a share took 10-20 seconds.

When I looked into the tcpdump, I saw packets going to IP-number
224.0.1.22 and after that a pause of 5 seconds (waiting for a responce),
and this repeated later, so in total it happens 2 times before I logged
in. This IP-number has to do something with Novell 5.x:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/tidfinder.cgi?10024579

On the network is also an old Netware 3.2 server and the workstations do
have an Novell client. This client was configured for IP and IPX, the
Novell server works with IPX.

When I removed the IP protocol from the Netware client this helped a
lot, I can now login in 4 seconds. And I do not see any packets going to
IP 224.0.1.22 anymore.

Without the Netware client I can login into the share in 1-2 seconds.

If somebody knows more about this problem or how you I make Samba faster
with Netware, I am interested too.

If somebody is interested in my logs or tcpdumps, I still have them.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.