SUMMARY: [Samba] hiding Unix perms

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Sat Jul 27 13:18:01 GMT 2002

Hi Sven,

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 08:43:52PM +0200, Sven K?hler wrote:
> > For some reason, I did not see the point of specifying nss_winbind in
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf. Now that I did that I can use the UIDs/GIDs mapped
> > for my system by winbindd for perms.
>
> after reading that, i was a little to enthusiastic, and tried to use
> winbind in combination with a samba PDC - on the same machine.

hmm.. well, what winbind does is make it so accounts on a PDC appear
as Unix UIDs. If the machine IS the PDC, then it already has accounts
for everybody, I don't think winbind will be useful for you.

> > Using winbind this way eliminates the need to create local Unix accounts :)
>
> this is, what i tried - and i don't know exactly, what you are talking
> about here.
> smbpasswd is the program to create samba-users (in this case also
> domain-users - because samba is my PDC) - and smbpasswd FORCES me to
> have one system-account for every domain-user.

Yes, the accounts must exist somewhere :)

In my case, they exist on an NT4 PDC sitting next to my new Samba
fileserver.

HTH,
Rob