[Samba] samba and winbind to itself

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 27 02:23:02 GMT 2002

Sven Köhler wrote:

> hi!
>
> i want to setup a pdc using samba, but i don't want samba to force me to
> have a local user for each domain-user!
>
> instead i would like to use winbind to get samba's user-database added
> to my linux-machine.
>
> this seems possible, but smbpasswd forced me to have a local user for
> each domain-account i want to create.
>
> any hints?

Not possible with Samba 2.2 or current HEAD, but this is the kind of
thing that is proposed for the new SAM subsystem currently under
development.

However, you can get a similer effect if you use LDAP - that way the
same ldap record can represent the UNIX and Samba components of the
user.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org