[Samba] Mac OS X -- Unable to initgroups. on every anonymous connection.

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Fri Jul 26 18:10:03 GMT 2002

> I'm using Samba 2.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.1.5
> Connecting to the share "public" with no username or password works
> fine, but, this error message appears in the log every time:
>
> [2002/07/26 15:15:54, 0] smbd/sec_ctx.c:initialise_groups(229)
>    Unable to initgroups. Error was Input/output error
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The error is caused when Samba calls the C library's initgroups()
function, and it runs into some kind of trouble.  initgroups()
needs to read /etc/group.  Did you make sure the account you are
using as your guest account exists? And is in a group that exists
in the system?

Make sure you have a /etc/group file and that it is non-corrupt,
and readable. The "Input/output error" suggests (?) that there might
be something wrong with the file.

(BTW, I'm using Linux here, so I hope OS X isn't too far different.
Try reading the initgroups(3) manual page on your system to check.)

Jay Ts
author, Using Samba, 2nd edition