[Samba] smbclient and encrypted passwords

dcrowley at techspray.com dcrowley at techspray.com
Fri Jul 26 14:11:02 GMT 2002

I have an NT Network and as one of the first steps in eliminating NT from
my shop I need to be able to mount some of my NT shares on my Linux boxes.

When I execute:

smbmount //NTXX/ShareName /NTShare

it asks me for a password.  I enter the correct password (yes I've checked
my capslock key and made sure I typed it correctly) but I get the following
error.

10819: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

executing:

smbmount //NTXX/Sharename /NTShare username="uname"

gives the same results as does:

smbmount //NTXX/Sharename /NTShare username="uname" password="password"

The user does have access to this share and the password is correct.  What
I think is happening is that smbmount is sending plain text passwords to my
NT box which is expecting encrypted passwords.

but I changed to the smb.conf file to tell it to use encrypted passwords.
The reason I think it is still not working is, in Nautilus on the Linux box
I try to connect to the NT Share by entering:

smb://NTXX

on the address line and it pops up a dialog box that says:

"You must log in to access "smb://ntxx"
"Your password will be transmitted unencrypted"

and when I enter my username and password, it brings up a list of the
shares on the NT box but when I try to access any of them I get an error
message that reads:

"You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of
"sharename"

Can anyone tell me what is actually happening and how I fix it?

Thanks