[Samba] adding machines to a pre 3 pdc

Lawrence Walton lawrence at the-penguin.otak.com
Fri Jul 26 13:08:02 GMT 2002

I just upgraded to the latest and greatest
samba in Debian sid (2.999+3.0cvs20020723-1), and
And am now unable to have machine domain logins.
Part of the problem was my fault a poorly done conversion
to passdb.tdb where I lost the original machine accounts.

I deleted all the original unix machine accounts.
I mapped Domain Admins, Power users, and users with smbgroupedit this seemed to work great!
added the unix accounts for the machines with the added $.
added the machines with smbpassword -a -m
and then tried to join the domain.
But no go.

testparam
complained about
domain admin group = @staff

and

ERROR: both 'wins support = true' and 'wins server = <server>' cannot be set in the smb.conf file.
nmbd will abort with this setting.

Which was curious because I only had win support = true and nothing else.

Took both of the settings out and everything seemed happy until I tried adding machines.
I have tried adding  w2k and nt4sp6 both with no luck..

The config worked and was running as a test pdc for the last year or so until this upgrade.

Comments and questions are welcome.

*--* Mail: lawrence at otak.com
*--* Voice: 425.739.4247
*--* Fax: 425.827.9577