[Samba] roaming profiles not being saved completely [was: NT4 roaming...]

Gottfried Scheckenbach gottfried.scheckenbach at xtelligent.de
Fri Jul 26 09:02:30 GMT 2002

Hi,

somebody out there who solved this problem (reported at the end of this
mail) without downgrading (I don't want to downgrade because of some
fixes in 2.2.5)?

Server is:
Samba 2.5.5, kernel 2.4.16 "SuSE-Version", glibc 2.2.2
Samba has been compiled without any problems on the same system and
Samba 2.2.1a worked fine on the same system (in regard of roaming profiles).

Clients are:
WinXP, Win2KSP2
As a try I installed all recent Win2K patches from MS - no change!

Only profile synchronisation is affected - copying the content of the
profile manually to the profile share works perfectly...

And: I tested the same Samba binary-package on a older system (kernel
2.2.18, glibc 2.2) - I can't reproduce the problem on this system!

Because of the new oplock code in kernel 2.4 I disabled oplocks (OPLOCKS
= No), but this does not change anything. Other tested parameters:

[global]
         [snipped]
         logon script = %U.bat
         logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
         logon drive = h:
         [snipped]

[profiles]
         comment = Roaming Profiles
         path = /samba/profiles
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 2700
         read only = No
         browseable = Yes                   # no change
         nt acl support = No                # no change
         force unknown acl user = Yes       # no change
         inherit acls = Yes                 # no change
         inherit permissions = Yes          # no change
         oplocks = No                       # no change
         locking = No                       # no change

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Gottfried

Gavin Hamill schrieb:
>>Hi :) I'm working with Samba 2.2.5 (Debian unstable) and have been trying

>>get roaming profiles working correctly.
>

> Just for reference, I got this sorted. The fix? Downgrade to the standard
> Samba 2.2.3-a .deb's.
>
> The price of live on the bleeding edge, I suppose :)
>
> gdh

Original posting was:

> Hi :) I'm working with Samba 2.2.5 (Debian unstable) and have been trying to
> get roaming profiles working correctly.
>
> My test client is NT4 (SP5) which is able to log onto the domain correctly,
> however even if I do things like change the background colour, change
> registry entries, put stuff on the desktop, when I log off the account, only
> some of the profile is uploaded.
>
> I say 'some' because the amount seems to vary! If I start with no directory
> /data/profiles/clive (clive is the test user) and log on.. make changes...
> log off, then it will create some folders like 'Application Data',
> 'History'... if I log on again, and log off.. it will create some more like
> 'Temporary Internet Files', 'Start Menu', 'Desktop'...
>
> I repeat this process, and a few more folders appear each time - but they're
> always empty! NTUSER.DAT never gets uploaded, and the contents of the
> desktop / IE cache never gets synchronised! :/
>
> My smb.conf is short so I'll reproduce it here verbatim.

[snipped]