[Samba] smb server + local printer on Win2k workstation (shared)

Lucas Correia Villa Real lucasvr at terra.com.br
Thu Jul 25 07:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

I have a question related to Samba + Win2k Workstations.
Yesterday I had to change a Win2k server by a Samba server (v2.2.4) running
on a Slackware 8.0. After a lot of work almost everything was working fine,
apart from the printing services. Before this change, the Win2k server was
used to both authenticate and give users privileges to access printers
installed and shared on another Win2k Workstations. These questions were
both handled by the Win2k Server (I guess). However, when I put the Samba
server up the users could not print anymore on the shares in the Win2k
workstations. As I could see in the documentation, there was nothing
related to this kind of situation, thus there was nothing to configure
in the smb server.
My solution to fix this problem was to add the users that needed print
access to the local access rights on every Win2k workstation which has a
printer installed in. I did that for every user and for every workstation.
Although that worked, I really think there´s another way of solving that problem,
so I ask if someone knows how.
Thanks for your attention,

Lucas Correia Villa Real