[Samba] tarred softlinks problem with smbclient

Jim Symon symon at cylink.com
Thu Jul 25 06:56:02 GMT 2002

New to the list. I couldn't seem to find the FAQ on the samba site. Can
anyone point me to a good samba faq?

Problem:

I tar up a big directory on my Solaris 2.6 box using /bin/tar. I then
use smbclient to restore it onto a drive on an NT server. It works for a
while, apparently just until it comes to a softlink in the tar file. At
that point it complains about the link, says it will skip it, and then
promptly complains of a checksum error and quits.

Any help?

Thanks,

Jim Symon
symon at cylink.com

% tar cfX /filesys1/wilma2.tar /filesys1/tar_excludes ./home
% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient //BEAST/nixbakup back -U back -T x
/filesys1/wilma2.tar

...[much successful restoring]...
restore tar file \home\bryans\IXP1200EB\ixp1200Timer.c of size 21741
bytes
restore tar file \home\bryans\IXP1200EB\LEDs.txt of size 943 bytes
this tar file appears to contain some kind of link other than a GNUtar
Longlink - ignoring
Skipping \home\bryans\IXP1200EB\Makefile...
restore tar file \home\bryans\IXP1200EB\Makefile of size 943 bytes
checksums don't match 0 33586
abandoning restore, -1 from read tar header