[Samba] Win2k, Samba 2.2.5 and LDAP

Eddie Lania e.lania at elton.nl
Thu Jul 25 00:32:08 GMT 2002

Hi ?,

I have had the same problem a while ago.

After downloading and installing the smbldap tools, I modified the
smbldap-conf.pm according to my own needs.
Pay special attention to the group (number) parameter for the computers in
the ldap tree and smbldap-conf.pm, and the location of your smbpasswd
program (/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd).

You also need to add the computers group (102 in my case) to the /etc/group
file.

domwks:x:102:

I added the parameter "add user script =
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pm -g 102 -w %u" to my smb.conf.
I restarted the smb and nmb services.

After that I was able to succesfully add a win2k/xpclient pc to the domain.
Later I noticed that the client pc was added to /etc/password AND it was
added twice to my ldap tree, one time as a user in the Users tree and also
as a computer in the Computers tree.
This makes sence to me since samba (smbpasswd) needs to find the pc in the
/etc/passwd file but the authentication is also done to the ldap database.

Look for the Softerra ldap browser and Administrator, they are helpfull
tools!

I hope this works for you too?

Greetings,

Eddie.