[Samba] Help

RVNS RVNS at naturesmist.com
Wed Jul 24 17:23:01 GMT 2002

I am trying to set up a Red Hat 7.3 server, samba version 2.2.3a.  I started with the
binary installation.  Maybe I would be better off starting with the source and compiling it
myself...anyways here is where i am at at this point

I am trying to start smbd according to the instructions of the following windows screen.
The document is from:  samba.org/samba/ftp/docs...Samba-HOW-TO Collection  18-
JUN-2002.

I added both lines as indicated to /etc/inetd.conf.  However, when I first opened
inetd.conf it was an empty file.

I also checked the path; /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D and the path actually ends at
/usr/local...the /samba/bin...was missing.

When I execute netstat -a netbios -ssn is running and listening...netbios -ns is running
but not listening.  /etc/service does show both netbios-ssn, port 139 (tcp and udp) and
netbios-ns, port 137 (tcp and udp).

I don't quite understand what is happening at this point.

Yes, I am new to linux however, I do enjoy it.

Thank you for any assitance

Steve
_