[Samba] Simple Samba

Bob Wooden bobwooden at netwalk.com
Wed Jul 24 16:32:02 GMT 2002

I have simple needs, as I am my only user.  I am in transition between
Linux and Windows.  I need to get Samba running.  I DO NOT need any
security between machines (except to the internet.)  I have certain
hardware requirements that forces me to keep Windows a little longer,
some day soon I will be able to afford to make the last changes.  In the
mean time I need to move and store my "My Documents" folder over to
Linux (like an NT server.)  So, when the day arrives that there will be
NO MORE Windows in my home, I will still have my existing files.

So, I need to get around that IPC$ password demand that Windows 98SE
insists on receiving.  My home system is as follows:

	Linux Server running RedHat 7.3 (Samba 2.2.3) and operating as a LTSP
server with one work station attached.
	A stand alone firewall box (in the closet) that acts as my
dial-on-demand internet access.
	A Windows 98SE computer that still has some of my MP# files on it and
hamdles scanner and some printing duties (and a few other little odd
jobs.)

I have tried RedHat's instructions (did not work), I have tried the
instructions from the Samba website, I have read USING SAMBA from
O'Reilly publishing, I have read SAMBA FOR DUMMIES and the list goes on
and on.  None of these have clear cut instructions THAT WORK.  I need a
simple smb.conf file.  Please help.