[Samba] Backing up both AIX and NT using Samba

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Wed Jul 24 15:59:02 GMT 2002

jpape at knightsbridge.com wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My name is Joe and I need some help from the Samba community. I have a need
> to be able to backup both Windows NT and AIX files using one IBM 3590 tape
> drive attached to a 7017-s80 running AIX 4.3.3.
>
> The files that I need to back up on the NT side are on a box that
> cannot be NFS mounted. It is essentially a "dumb box" with minimal
> configuration abilities.
>
> I am able to back up the files on the NT files from this "dumb" box to the
> the tape on the IBM 3590 tape drive. To do this I use the smbclient
> command:
>
>       /tools/samba/bin/smbclient '\\ntbox1\home' xxxx -U xxxx -Tcga
> /dev/rmt1
>
> Currently, I have one set of backup tapes for unix and one set for NT. The
> NT backup,
> using smbclient, is scheduled to run at night. The unix backup is scheduled
> to run
> in the morning. I have the unix tapes in one tape rack and the NT tapes in
> another
> tape rack. I put the unix tape rack in when I come to work in the morning
> and put the
> NT tape rack in the tape drive in the evening.
>
> What I would like to do is to backup the unix files on the AIX box along
> with
> the NT files on the "dumb box" using the smbclient command onto the same
> tape. Is this possible?

I was able to do something similar on Solaris using "smbtar" and the no rewind
tape option through a cron script. The key was making sure everything would fit
on one tape and not rewinding the tape ( on Solaris /dev/rmt1n). It simply put
multiple archives on the same tape. Restoring required manipulating the tape to
the correct file on the correct tape using the "mt" command and using the
correct command ( tar or usfrestore) to restore the file.  Of course if we had
used tar for all backups we wouldn't have had this problem and of course we
could have scripted around our clumsy restore setup, but we never got around
tuit. We had to change tapes every day to keep from getting confused about
where the backups were on what tape.

We use Veritas Netbackup now it's much easier.

I don't know AIX but these should be similar capabilities.

--
Robert Steinmetz AIA
Principal