[Samba] enumerating shared printers to the print browse master

christoph.beyer at desy.de christoph.beyer at desy.de
Wed Jul 24 00:13:03 GMT 2002

hi Jerry et al,

when I use the 'ADD PRINTER WIZARD' it looks like this:

|[]\\whatevernthost\mydeskjetanywhere   |
|[]\\computeronmydesk\printernexttome   |
|[]\\Ididn'tevennowIm\sharingaprinter   |
|+[]SAMBAPRINTSERVER                    |

The shared printers on the SAMBA server get visible by doubleclicking the
icon. Everything works fine from then on, but a lot of user of the
wonderful MS OS are not able or willing  to browse the network for the
printserver. They just see the few offered print shares from NT desktops
on the network and think the server is down and give me a call...

Is it possible to force the SAMBA server to enumerate the shared printers
to the print browse master ?

I found the following in the MS knowledgebase:

(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q161734&)

      How Existing Printers Get Enumerated to the Print Browse Master

Windows NT Server and Workstation computers update the browse master by
default every 10 minutes with print share information. This is done via
the Win32 API AddPrinter.

Below is a network trace fragment that demonstrates a client enumerating
shared resources to the print browse master:

FRAME: Base frame properties ETHERNET: 802.3 Length = 458LLC: UI DSAP=0xE0
SSAP=0xE0 CIPX: NetBIOS Packet - 6112.08003E3046DE.455 ->
6112.02608C3F3E55.455 - 0 Hops
NBIPX: Session Data
SMB: C transact TransactNmPipe, FID = 0x200c
MSRPC: c/o RPC Request: call 0x1  opnum 0x5  context 0x0  hint 0x11C
R_WINSPOOL: RPC Client call winspool:RpcAddPrinter(..)
R_WINSPOOL: STRING_HANDLE pName = \\NTSERVER
R_WINSPOOL: PPRINTER_CONTAINER pPrinterContainer {..}
R_WINSPOOL: DWORD Level = 1 (0x1)
R_WINSPOOL: (Untyped 1) PrinterInfo {..}
R_WINSPOOL: Switch Value = 1 (0x1)
R_WINSPOOL: LPPRINTER_INFO_1W pPrinterInfo1 {..}
R_WINSPOOL: DWORD Flags = 24 (0x18)
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pDescription = 35780264 (0x221F6A8)
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pName = 35781864 (0x221FCE8)
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pComment = 12163832 (0xB99AF8)
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pDescription = \\NTCLIENT\Lexmark Optra PS,Lexmark
Optra
PS,
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pName = \\NTCLIENT\Lexmark Optra PS
R_WINSPOOL: LPWSTR pComment =
R_WINSPOOL: PDEVMODE_CONTAINER pDevModeContainer {..}
R_WINSPOOL: DWORD cbBuf = 0 (0x0)
R_WINSPOOL: LPBYTE pDevMode = 0 (0x0)
R_WINSPOOL: PSECURITY_CONTAINER pSecurityContainer {..}
R_WINSPOOL: DWORD cbBuf = 0 (0x0)
R_WINSPOOL: LPBYTE pSecurity = 0 (0x0)

thank you for your engagement in this great piece of sotware
	~christoph

--
/*   Christoph Beyer     |   Office: Building 2b / 23     *\
 *   DESY                |    Phone: 040-8998-2317        *