[Samba] my printers are still paused in Win2k and WinNT 4.0

Shane Drinkwater Shane_Drinkwater at pa-ucl.com
Tue Jul 23 09:58:02 GMT 2002

Jim,
I think I found another bug... I really seem to be in printer hell :(.... I
found that windows 2k doesn't update its status "ready" or "paused" when
used with samba. Here is what I did...
	1.) enable all of the lpr/lpd queues. check em' with lpq...
	2.) start samba...
	3.) goto my win 2k client.
	4.) install the printer.( a hp 5m driver that was uploaded to the
samba server from windows)
	5.) click on the printer in the "printers" folder on the client.
	6.) this is where the fun begins :) login to the samba server and
perform a lpc -P%p stop (lpc -Pcsqlis stop) or use windows to pause the
printer. Check the status on the linux box to really make sure it is paused.
	7.) sing the theme song to jeopardy for 10 secs.
	8.) click on the printers to make sure windows updates. The printer
still says ready but the "wait time" field is gone...
	9.) perform a lpc -Pcsqlis start command.
	10.) check it with lpq
	11.) in 10 sec the "wait time" will reappear.. hmmm

You can do the same thing except start samba with the queue being paused. It
will show paused during the testing. The only thing that goes away and comes
back is the wait time field. Jim have you seem this before??? Has anyone
else ??? Or do I have a retarded computer win2k box???
						Shane