[Samba] samba 2.2.3a&Windows - Long share names truncated

g dm gdm2002 at email.com
Tue Jul 23 09:07:02 GMT 2002

Hi

During the setup of a backup routine using rsync & samba 2.2.3a-6 I saw
that long share names on Samba are shown truncated on a windows
98 machine. Only the first 13 characters are shown. I use debian 2.2.? (4 I think)

On google I read a message stating this is caused by samba using Ascii &
windows using unicode to communicate. The message continued to say that
samba was modified from v 2.2.x to work also in unicode. A later reply
denied this, saying this was only true in the "HEAD" version?

what is this HEAD version?

best regards
glenn

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup