[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Jul 23 08:51:01 GMT 2002

--On Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:57 PM +0200 René Nieuwenhuizen
<R.Nieuwenhuizen at cpb.nl> wrote:

>> I've tryed to add a machine with the command:
>> smbpasswd -a -m linux01 but it wasn't successfull, so I've created a
>> user named linux01 and by running the same command again the error was:
>>
>> User linux01$ does not exist in system password file
>> (usually /etc/passwd). Cannot add account without a valid local system
>> user.
>> Failed to modify password entry for user linux01$
>>
>> But linux01 exists in the /etc/passwd file!
>
> linux01$ should be in the /etc/passwd file (mind the $)!
>
> René Nieuwenhuizen

Yes, this can be very confusing the first time you see this...

The machine account in /etc/passwd NEEDS the "$" at the end ("linux01$"),
but when you create the machine account for the smbpasswd file, you leave
the "$" off (as you already know -- "smbpasswd -a -m linux01")

- john