[Samba] A question about [homes]

Amadej Bukorovic amadej at minet.si
Mon Jul 22 15:25:01 GMT 2002

Hello everyone.

I have a question concerning the [homes] directive.
I've set it up and everything's working fine but there's just a slight
little detail that bothers me, and that is that when I browse my samba
server off a w2k/wXP client I have two shares (I only have [homes] in
my config file as far as shares are concerned) in the root view. That is
\\sambaserver\homes and \\sambaserver\username.
Both are shares of my home directory (that is, the home directory of the
user I log into the windows client) on the samba server. Is there a way
to turn one off (so it's less confusing for the users)?

The only way I could think of doing it was to completely remove the
[homes]
Directive and use something like this:

[home]
  comment = Home directory
  guest ok = no
  read only = no
  writable = yes
  browseable = yes
  path = /home/%u

But I'm wondering if there's another way of doing this that would allow
me to continue using the [homes] directive?

Regards,
Amadej.