[Samba] share name size limitation?

Guy Story, KC5GOI kc5goi at kc5goi.net
Mon Jul 22 09:19:02 GMT 2002

Hello everyone,  I was trying to rename a newlys created share for a customer
site over the weekend.  I was trying to give it MedTranBackup but that would
only yield an error on the NT4 workstation about the network name not found
and could not browse to it via network neighborhood.  When I use MedTran
everything was happy.  I appear to have hit a limit in the length of the
name.  What is the max length limit on a share name?  BTW, I did verify the
logon scripts had the correct syntax and restarted samba after changing the
names.

thanks

--
Guy Story, KC5GOI