[Samba] Samba refuses to act as PDC

Martin Gwerder mgwerder at primecalc.com
Mon Jul 22 00:40:03 GMT 2002

I have a setup with a couple of clients (win2K german) and a linux box
running samba (which should act as a PDC). The setup was previously
working ok. However after updating the installation something seems to
be odd. I still can access all shares (giving valid credentials of
course) but the server refuses to act as a domain controller.

When adding the clients I get the errormessage:
(Translated) Unable to add Computer to the Domain for the following
reason: unknown user or wrong password.

at the same time the log.smbd file gets two new entries saying:

[2002/07/21 16:45:30, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(670)
  api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.
[2002/07/21 16:45:30, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)
  unable to open passdb database.

I looked all over for this problem but I was unable to find a posting
anywhere on the net containing a solution.

nb. all steps of DIAGNOSIS.txt were successful

Anyone an idea?

Regards
Martin