[Samba] Netbios and Samba

Nathan Thaler nthaler at hamilton.edu
Sun Jul 21 17:09:02 GMT 2002

I can't seem to get the Windows machines (1x 2000 , 2x XP. 1x 98) on my
network to see my Linux box's Netbios name (meadow).

"net view \\meadow" yields "Network path not found" and "ping \\meadow"
yields "ping could not find the host meadow" (both commands run on Windows
boxes)    The Linux box is a x86 machine running Redhat 7.3 (2.4.18-5
kernel) and Samba 2.2.3a (built via RPM as part of the Redhat
install).  Running testparm results in no errors.  The smb.conf is
extremely basic (just in case, I listed the full text at the bottom of this
message).  "nmblookup -S meadow" yields the following:

--------
querying meadow on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.104 meadow<00>
Looking up status of 192.168.1.104
         MEADOW          <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
         MEADOW          <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
         MEADOW          <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
         TEST            <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
         TEST            <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
         TEST            <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
--------

(My workgroup, for now, is called "TEST").

However, "nmblookup -M Meadow" yields:

----------
querying Meadow on 192.168.1.255
name_query failed to find name Meadow#1d
----------

The above doesn't make any sense to me.  This is the only machine in the
workgroup Test, so it should automatically become the master browser.  In
an attempt to force this Linux box to become a master browser, I added
"remote announce = 192.168.1.255" in the global section of smb.conf (though
it doesn't seem to make any difference).  I have waited up to 48 minutes
(as suggested by the docs) after every change to make sure that the host
information propagates to all subnets, but it doesn't make any
difference.  And, although both the Windows machines and the Linux box are
connected through a Linksys Cable/DSL router, none of the settings suggest
that it's blocking ports 137-139 on the Linux box's IP.   I don't believe
that it has a universal role blocking the Netbios ports, because I was able
to create a share on the Win98 machine and view it on a Win 2K
machine.  I've started, stopped, and restarted /etc/init.d/smb several
times, and SMB and NMB start up without any problems every time.  (SMB runs
as service upon startup in rc3 and rc5 as well).

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this problem and what a solution to it
might be?   Nothing in the samba list archives matches this problem.

----------
#smb.conf:

[global]
         workgroup = TEST
         netbios name = MEADOW
         server string = Samba Server
         remote announce = 192.168.1.255 # as suggested by the samba
documentation, but doesn't seem to help
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*al
l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0
         dns proxy = No