[Samba] Samba & XP PRO

Scott Mrtens sjmertens2 at attbi.com
Sun Jul 21 08:46:02 GMT 2002

Please forgive is this has been posted, but without a good search
function the archives are hard to search.

Have a home network - two laptops XP PRO, one Linux RH 7.3 and one NT
box.  All in the workgroup named workgroup.

I would like to rid myself of the NT box as all it does is spool a
printer and a USB Hard drive for backup purposes.

Network hooked to a Linksys Cabel Modem router, So NAT behind the
scenes.  Linux has two interfaces One public,on 12. subnet - and the
other private on the 192. subnet.  All laptops get IP from Linksys
router (So on Private network)

My first goal is to set samba to share one printer (HP-K80)  Printer
works finin Linux.  Have gone into the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and
changed he Globals to
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   netbios name = COMPUTER1
   workgroup = WORKGROUP

Changed printers to

 NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = yes
   printable = yes

Security is set to User

Problem is that the XP users can not map to a printer.  The computer1
(Linux/samba) box is visable, but no printers show up.  I can ping the
server from XP only by IP address, can not ping by name.  The samba can
ping XP by name or IP.  I have even tried to map using a UNC & IP like
this  \\192.168.1.103\K80  with the same results.

I have also tried with home drive shares with the same results, so I'm
starting to believe it has something to do with name resolution.

Users have been added to samba passwd file.  So what am I missing here?
Oh yea, and upgraded to samba 2.2.5

Thanks