[Samba] Win98SE Password Confused

Bob Wooden bobwooden at netwalk.com
Fri Jul 19 11:06:10 GMT 2002

To follow is my Samba.conf file.  My desire is to allow my one Windows
98SE machine to write and/or store files to "public2" folder on my Samba
server.  My Win98SE machine "sees" the server through "neighborhood
network" and shows the "public2" folder.  When you double click the
folder, Samba requests a password for IPC$.  All passwords fail.  What
do I have set incorrectly?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from Server101d.wooden.com (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/07/16 11:41:32

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = HOME
	netbios name = WOODENSRVR101
	server string = Samba on Server101d
	security = SHARE
	null passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program =
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[public2]
	comment = Public Number 2
	path = /public2
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	volume = /public2

I would like to get the files to read and write, back and forth before I
tackle things like printers and other.  Please help.