[Samba] smbclient & /etc/printcap Why does my printconf-gui doesnt work? (samba 2.2.3a) Red Hat Linux 7.2 enigma-

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Jul 19 06:01:12 GMT 2002

I haven't time right now to mess much with this, but basically, you are on
the right track.
This can be done in several ways.
Cheap and dirty. Just print to file and then run a script which prints
that file to your w2k printer. This could be made fancy with a cron entry
which checks for that file's existence, prints it, then erases it.
You could set up a regular print queue (look at /etc/printcap for ideas) and
make your printer filter in that queue something like:
#!/bin/sh
cat | fullpathname/smbclient serverstuff passwordstuff -c '-' or something
close to this.
run checkpc -f after the queue is set up and restart lpd.
Or, there be a way to run the print command directly out of koffice.
cat %s or %f | smbclient etc.
Most print commands in linux apps are things like:
lpr -Pprinter
Change this command to your smbclient command and experiment with it.
Joel