[Samba] mounting a Samba volume on startup

Mladen Gavrilovic mladen-g at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 18 17:42:03 GMT 2002

Joel Hammer wrote:

> A common problem during bootup is that the path commands you have after
> you log in have not taken effect, and so various files might not be
> accessible.
> Where is the mount command actually placed?
> How are you authenticating onto the XP machine?
> What is the actual command you are using?
> Joel

OK, the mount command is in rc.local.  It is the last command executed
before the login screen.  This is the command I put in myself... the Red
Hat Samba mounting script is where they put it themselves by default...
but either way, even if they put it somewhere before the SMB and NMB
initialization, my command should work because it is the VERY LAST thing
the initscripts execute.

The command I'm using is

mount '//AQUA/ddrive' -t smbfs -o \
ip=192.168.0.1,workgroup=MYGROUP,guest,rw /usr/media/sound/mp3s

Needless to say, AQUA is the name of the WinXP computer, MYGROUP is the
workgroup.  Authentication onto the XP machine is not a problem,
because, as I said, this is the very LAST thing that the system runs
before the login screen.  At the login screen I can login as root and
cut and paste the same exact command from rc.local into a terminal, and
the volume mounts fine.

Thanks for the reply,
Mladen