[Samba] CRITICAL can't copy files to samba volumes

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Jul 18 15:04:02 GMT 2002

I can't imagine why people didn't read an unsolicited level 10 log.
First, you are different, since I can copy a file from a local folder to my
samba server without trouble.
I would start with one server and one windows client first, preferably win98
and fix one problem first.
Win98 is the better place to start, since 2k is full of bugs. Do you have
all the service packs updated for 2k?
So, have you walked through DIAGNOSIS.txt in docs/textdocs ?
Then, if you passed all the tests for one pair of machines, then look at
your samba configuration and your permission on your unix machine for the
involved share. Are all the permissions properly set on all the directories
in the path on the unix system?
Then post the smb.conf global section and the section for the share that is
not working.
Do you have trouble saving files between two samba server machines?
Can you save files from windows to windows?

Joel