[Samba] Loading homedir from windows 2000 server with autofs

Eric Salmons ericsal123 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 10:44:03 GMT 2002

Hi all.

Actually,

I looked on the net and didn't find the information I needed to make this
possible:

Each of my users got their own share of 100mb, \\w2k\username, I want that
they get this share for their homedir on the unix stations. I saw that we
could use autofs to mount samba share, password could be grepped from smbpw.
My problem is, the server who have the shares run windows 2000, and I cannot
change this (ibm windows clusters solution with 1+ terabyte). Since the
share manager run win2k, unix mount can't play with permission/owner, which
make the homedir pretty useless... I also tried to use cifs, but If I
understood well, cifs only work if your server is unix since it only allow
the transpher of metadata...

Anyone did something like this? I don't want to use the microsoft package:
NFS for windows...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Salmons