[Samba] Please Help. Samba as PDC and printing

Adrian Ciocildau adri_l at gmx.net
Thu Jul 18 10:02:02 GMT 2002

Hi !

I hate to do this but I'm close to get crazy about printing with samba.

I have a samba server ver 2.2.5 running as a domain controler.

The domain logon works fine, I've created the computer account by hand for
testing and it is great. The problem is with printing.

I've created the [print$] share all the directories in this share like
 W32ALPHA, W32MIPS, W32PPS, W32X86, WIN40.
When I try to install a driver from a WIN NT4.0 machine the driver files are
coppied succesfull and after this i get a message like:

"Unable to change to the specified driver, original settings will be
restored."

I hope it is nothing releated to the fact that first I have tried to install
the driver from a win2000 machine ....

all the time I was trying to add the driver as user "root" so the accest to
ntdrivers.tdb should not be a problem.

smb.conf file :
[global]
    ; Basic server settings
    netbios name = GANJA
    workgroup = CCT

    ; we should act as the domain and local master browser
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes

    ; security settings (must user security = user)
    security = user
    printer admin = @ntadmin
    ; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
    encrypt passwords = yes

    ; support domain logons
    domain logons = yes

    ; where to store user profiles?
    logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u

    ; where is a user's home directory and where should it
    ; be mounted at?
    logon drive = H:
    logon home = \\homeserver\%u

    ; specify a generic logon script for all users
    ; this is a relative **DOS** path to the [netlogon] share
    logon script = logon.cmd

; necessary share for domain controller
[netlogon]
    path = /export/smb/netlogon
    read only = yes
    write list = @ntadmin,root

; share for storing user profiles
[profiles]
    path = /export/smb/ntprofile
    read only = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

[print$]
    path = /export/smb/print
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @ntadmin,root

[HP5000N]
comment = HP 5000N Floor 1
create mask = 0700
path = /export/smp/spool
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp -r -h -s %s
lpq command =   /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
lprm command =  /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc stop %p
lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc start %p
browseable = yes
writable = no
printable = yes

Thank you in advance,