[Samba] Cannot copy files to samba share. (A little off-topic)

Nick Ruth nruth at mail.regionalradio.com
Thu Jul 18 07:33:10 GMT 2002

I've created a share in Samba (2.2.3a) and cannot copy or create files in
it. I know I've missed something, but am unable to find the error. Any help
is appreciated.

I'm logged on with username nick (correctly as I can add files to my Home
directory...)

smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = kbnn
server string = Business Linux/Samba Server
hosts allow = 10.0.4. 127.
remote announce = 10.0.4.255
security = user
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
#os level = 33
#domain master = yes
#preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
#wins support = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers
#name resolve order = host wins bcast
dns proxy = no

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no

[wire]
comment = WireReady folder
path = /usr/wire
writable = yes
printable = no
read only = no
directory mask = 0777
create mask = 0777
public = yes
---snip---

here's the output of ls -l
---snip---
drwxr-xr-x   48 root     root         8192 Jul  3 16:44 include
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     nick         4096 Jul 17 11:11 kbnn
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Jul  3 16:42 kerberos
drwxr-xr-x   35 root     root        16384 Jul  3 16:44 lib
---snip---

I have access to another RH server that I did not put together that has priv
in place of nick on this ls.  That server gives access to the files, and
ability to write. How do I change the ownership to priv?

Thanks a ton!

Nick Ruth
---