[Samba] NT user name resolution to UNIX user name doesn't work the same

Tim Allen tallen at integritycompanies.com
Thu Jul 18 07:02:02 GMT 2002

My departmental file server is on RHL6.2(i386) (Samba 2.0.6) and participates in the company's NT domain. If an NT user wants to see shares on this UNIX(Linux) box I have only to create a UNIX account for them where the UNIX username matches the NT username. I have a Solaris 8 box (Samba 2.2.2), I cannot figure out how to make it act the same way. I have looked at winbindd but that does noot seem to do what I want. What I do not want to do is maintain a smbpasswd file.