[Samba] Linux Client

Sylvestre Taburet sylvestre.taburet at free.fr
Wed Jul 17 14:25:02 GMT 2002

Le Mercredi 17 Juillet 2002 23:13, Joel Hammer a écrit :
> I have not seen any replies, so, I'll ask. What are your trying to do?
> Your question isn't clear, at least to me.
> Joel
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:08:46PM +0200, Frédéric SCHWIEN wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am just wondering : is there a way to get a Linux Station display a
> > Microsoft like login screen
> >  (ie: login/password/network) on a microsoft like network hosted on a
> > samba server?
> >
> > If yes, what soft or configuration could I use?
> >
> > I know it is a bit off topic, but I guess some people on this list might
> > have search that.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > fred

If you're trying to logon to a windows NT domain using a linux wks, yes this
is possible using winbind.

You can also mount the windows home dir of the domain user on the linux wks
using pam_mount, but because smbfs won't support creation of specific files,
like fifos and sockets, you won't be able to open a KDE session in the
smbmounted home dir.

Because the domain has to be set-up before you can logon to it (the wks must
be member of the NT domain), you won't be able to change it anyway, so why
would you need it at logon time? Or maybe you need to hide your linux station
because you're in a very strict corporate environment ;o)?
--
Sylvestre Taburet - 1024D/030E1B7E
sylvestre.taburet at free.fr