[Samba] RE: Installing/Removing RPM's

Nick Ruth nruth at mail.regionalradio.com
Wed Jul 17 07:28:02 GMT 2002

> From: "Trevor Fraser" <trevor at systematic.co.za>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:00:46 +0200
> Subject: [Samba] Installing/Removing RPM's
>
> Hello everyone.
>
> This is partly a RedHat specific question.  When I try removing a rpm =
> using 'rpm -e'
> I get 'rpm not installed', and when I try install the same rpm using =
> 'rpm -i', I get 'rpm already installed'. How can this be? Please advise.

When I pulled samba to reinstall the latest versions I used
rpm -e samba
rpm -e samba-client
rpm -e samba-common

This was on a RH7.2 system. I had trouble getting 2.2.3a to un-install, but
since it wasn't running yet I simply re-built the server and had another go
at it....  One thing to note, the default firewall settings (if you chose to
use them) disallow ports in the 137-139 range. I've disabled the firewall
temporarily while I find out how to open those ports....

> Another thing is that I can't find the swat service. I installed smb =
> server at installation, and the rest of the packages seem to be =
> installed. I'm trying to reinstall, but the above problem keeps holds me =
> back. If I could reinstall, is this the right thing to do, or do you =
> have other suggestions?

I installed Samba 2.2.3a on the above server and swat is installed (not
working yet, but installed)

Nick Ruth
---