[Samba] Re: Specific PPD Files are not downloaded on an automatic installation

david.morel at amakuru.net david.morel at amakuru.net
Wed Jul 17 07:17:03 GMT 2002

Tim Müller-Seydlitz writes:

> Hi there!
> I am trying to get the samba cups integration to work.
> After some fiddling I can now install the Adobe Postscript Printer driver
> remotely.
> Unfortunately Windows 98 clients (I haven't checked with NT,2000,XP yet)
> only get the default ppd.
> What is the proper naming convention for the ppd files? Currently we use the
> printer DNS name pr100, pr101, pr102, ... Should the ppd files be named
> according to the Name of the Printer within the ppd file: hplaserjet or
> whatever?
> TIM

i don't know if this could solve your problem as you don't give enough
detail (did  you use cupsaddsmb? etc) but the description (lpadmin -D) you
give when creating your printer in cups must match the nickname in your ppd
file for the ppd to be recognized, copied to the proper location,  then
downloaded automatically by your win clients