[Samba] 5 non-answered questions.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jul 17 01:25:03 GMT 2002

| Message: 4
| Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:35:48 +0200
| From: Stephane Prunier <prunier at besancon.sema.slb.com>
| To: samba at lists.samba.org
| Subject: [Samba] 5 non-answered questions.
|
| Hello,
|
| We have just migrated our large dev file server on linux+samba
| (Mandrake8.2+samba2.2.3a).
| It works almost fine but here are some question asked by some users I
can't
| answer, after reading the manuals, the FAQs...and reading this list for a
| while :

Most of your other questions have been answered I think, but

| 4. The matching between DOS attributes (archive, read only...) and Unix
| rights is something not very cool for the end user.
| => Only the owner of a file can really change them. And users cannot
change
| file ownership (because only root can do this on unix)
| Is there a workaround to this ?

Samba in Mandrake (since Mandrake 8.1) has out-the-box support for ACLs
on XFS filesystems. Unfortunately, Posix ACLs aren't the same as Windows
ACLs in that there is no way to let someone (non-root) take ownership of
files (AFAIK), thus this isn't available via samba. But you can at least
have finer-grained control on access.

I have had some issues with ACLs (don't seem to work on a member server,
but do work on our domain controller, should work fine on a stand-alone
box), so do a test before you decide to migrate everything to XFS ...

| 5. I would be interested in having a link to a document (or a book) which
| explains step by step how tu tune samba to get max perf.

There is a lot of documentation that ships with samba, in the samba-doc
package in Mandrake 8.2.

Please also note that RPMs of newer samba releases for Mandrake are
available at ftp.samba.org (only latest) or
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba or
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~staburet/samba

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202