[Samba] my printers are still paused in Win2k and WinNT 4.0

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Tue Jul 16 11:00:03 GMT 2002

1.  What types of HP printers are they?

2.  Is the firmware on the JetDirects up to date?

3.  Are you using the HP or MS driver for the clients?

4.  Are you using ":rp=9100" or ":rp=raw" in printcap?
(post your printcap, and we'll look it over)

5. Do you have "guest ok=yes" on the printer entries?

6.  Are you using disable spoolss= "yes" or "no"?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Drinkwater [mailto:Shane_Drinkwater at pa-ucl.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 9:54 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] my printers are still paused in Win2k and WinNT 4.0

Hello,
It seems that I am in printer hell once again :) I am trying to sort out
some printer problems with our UNIX server. The basic problem is this. I
have a test server to K.I.S.S the problem. On this server I have defined two
queues which are  csqlis and HPfinley. csqlis seems to work correctly and
displays ready.  HPfinley always reads Paused on win2k and NT40 clients. The
output of the lpq command is
csqlis:
[root at localhost etc]# lpq -Pcsqlis
Printer: csqlis at localhost <mailto:csqlis at localhost>  'This is  a test' (dest
hp at csqlis.pa-ucl.com <mailto:hp at csqlis.pa-ucl.com> )
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on this port

HPfinley
[root at localhost etc]# lpq -Phpfinley
Printer: HPfinley at localhost <mailto:HPfinley at localhost>  (dest
hp at fin-office-laser.pa-ucl.com <mailto:hp at fin-office-laser.pa-ucl.com> )
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on this port
[root at localhost etc]#

I am running the following revs for software
RED HAT 7.3
LPRng 3.8.12
Samba -2.2.5 with the parse_sec_patch
I have also added done_jobs=0 to the lpd.conf and printcap and
printcap.local files
Any help on this isssue would be apprecated. I am stuck with this problem.
Considering that the lpq output looks the same to me.

                                        Shane