[Samba] 5 non-answered questions.

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Tue Jul 16 07:29:02 GMT 2002

1.  I don't have this problem.  But if I try mkdir test/test2, I get a
"syntax is incorrect" error message.  mkdir test\test2, on the other
hand, works great.  Are you sure you dind't do it right when testing with
NT/W2k Servers and accidentally used a / when testing with Samba share?

2.  What patch level of Windows NT are we talking about?  This is
something where the Samba error logs might provide insightful clues.

3.  I don't know if there's a tool to simulate MapRoot, but this is a
Windows NT (and previous) issue, and has nothing to do with Samba.  If
nobody here provides an answer, try a Windows Admistration help
site/forum.

4.  Ya, I agree, trying to fake Windows style permissions and attributes
over a Unix filesystem can be a annoyance.  In my case, its simple to just
force user on public shares so everyone who has write access to that share
is the same user as far as Unix host is concerned.  If you need better
fine tuning, Samba implements windows ACL that should, to my knowledge,
mimick Windows permissions.  I have zero experience implementing this,
however.  Your mileage may vary.

5.  man smb.conf  -- That may sound trite, but there is no such thing as
step by step to get max performance over and above default.  Anything you
do to get more performance is highly dependant on your individual
situation, and requires careful reading/understanding of the Samba
directives.  (After all, if it were that easy to get better performance,
it would just be the default, no?)