[Samba] integrate print with windows, print administration from w2K/NT

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Jul 16 07:16:33 GMT 2002

Hi list, I'm working on a RH 7.2 non intel system which I'd like to do
printserving for windows clients.  I'm using samba 2.2.5-1 installed via
RPM.  Ideally the print administrator would manage access to the
print-queues remotely from his win2k box.

Am I understanding correctly, that if I hand-off user/group checks to
winbind in my nsswitch.conf, that NT groups can be enforced without
jumping through hoops on the linux system?  So that print admin can
restrict access to some printers based on already established NT groups?

Can print admin manage the actual samba print shares from his win2k
box?  Am I looking at swat here?

Also, print admin needs to be able to reroute print queues to a
different printer without losing jobs in queue, so the print jobs can go
to a printer at a different ip while the original destination of the
queue gets serviced.  Best I can think of right now is firing up
printconf, modifying the ip address for the queue and restarting lpd.
So the queue names stay the same and nothing in samba changes, only the
destination ip of the print queue changes without jobs getting lost...
but is there a better way?  If they print to an alias for a queue and
the alias gets switched to point to a different queue, do jobs already
sitting in the queue get redirected appropriately?  Or is there a better
way 1 or 2?

I'm still taking baby steps, haven't yet added a machine account for the
linux server yet, but I have user authentication to the NT PDC (assuming
account exists on linux), and am able to send print to linux, which
pushes it to jetdirect networked printers.  From what I've read, looks
like for winbind I will need to have NT Admin add machine account to
PDC.  Or is there a way to experiment with winbind without bothering NT
admins yet?

How much will lack of broadcast hurt?  I use a point to point gateway
interface, and nmbd would die with the required netmask of
255.255.255.255 so I had to fake the interface netmask (I used /24).
Tests at http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html that rely on
broadcast fail as you'd expect
TEST 6:
# nmblookup -d 2 '*'
added interface ip=a.b.c.d bcast=a.b.c.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying * on a.b.c.255
name_query failed to find name *

TEST 10:
# nmblookup -M THE_DOM
querying THE_DOM on a.b.c.255
name_query failed to find name THE_DOM#1d

I just want to make sure I don't bark up any wrong trees.  Thanks to
anyone who takes the time to answer anything,
~ Daniel