[Samba] 5 non-answered questions.

Stephane Prunier prunier at besancon.sema.slb.com
Tue Jul 16 07:00:08 GMT 2002

Hello,

We have just migrated our large dev file server on linux+samba
(Mandrake8.2+samba2.2.3a).
It works almost fine but here are some question asked by some users I can't
answer, after reading the manuals, the FAQs...and reading this list for a
while :

1. Why can't NT clients do several levels mkdir ?
I mean doing a mkdir toto/titi would create first a toto directory and then
a titi directory inside. It works with an NT/2000/Netware file server but
not with samba.
We can do it with Win2k client workstations, but not with NT.
Stange, hu ?

2. With NT clients again, we get some strange results when using the right
click, send to option to send a text file in the notepad. Sometimes it
works, sometimes not ("Unable to open file" error message). I crosss
checked the unix file perms, the samba options between working and non
working files. No way.

3. Is there a tool to simulate the MAPROOT novell command ?
    (We are doing subst but it is not very easy to use as all map are
labelled "Network Drive")
    Again, Win2k allows "deep" drive mapping and NT not.

4. The matching between DOS attributes (archive, read only...) and Unix
rights is something not very cool for the end user.
=> Only the owner of a file can really change them. And users cannot change
file ownership (because only root can do this on unix)
Is there a workaround to this ?

5. I would be interested in having a link to a document (or a book) which
explains step by step how tu tune samba to get max perf.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Stephane