[Samba] samba server not visible

Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl
Tue Jul 16 05:07:02 GMT 2002

Can anybody explain the following?

I have two situations, one old and one new ;-)
Old situation:
- OS = win98
   Samba = 2.2.??? (forgot, but this hasn't changed)
   Samba server visible in workgroup = NO
   Samba server connectable by name = YES (\\server\share)

New situation:
- OS = Win XP
   Samba = 2.2.??? (yep, still the same one, same config file)
   Samba server visible in workgroup = NO
   Samba server connectable by name = NO ----> BUT connectable by ip# works
(\\192.168.0.1\share)

Obviously this must be a setting I overlooked or something... anybody who
can explain this?
I did the ugly job of installing XP OVER 98, so most should be remembered,
no?

Also, maybe one of you folks knows.... I'm quite new to XP, and now I see
all the shares in my networkplaces. I found the link to see only the
servers, but the point is, this windows machine has been in another network
for a few days, and still remembers all the shares that were there... I
want them to begone, for I won't need them for the next few months at
least, if ever... refreshing did not make them go away... anybody on how to
get old shares no longer listed by XP?

TIA
Michiel