[Samba] How to setup Winbindd:

Brandon Lemoine BrandonL at bhl.com
Mon Jul 15 11:36:05 GMT 2002

Thanks for any information and your time!!!

I have been working on getting my samba 2.2.5 server to work with my 2K
domain in (native mode). Setup is on a RH 7.3 system with two NIC's one
on a Internet network the other is for the LAN.

What I need is to get the XP/2K/4.0 systems to see the samba shares and
us them based on the users and groups that are on the domain. This is a
2K AD Domain.

I have performed the following:

Setup the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
Change the /etc/pam_smb.conf file.
Changed the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.
Changed the /etc/pam.d/system-auth and samba files.
Set smb and winbindd to start with the system.
Added the samba system to the domain using smbpasswd -j XXX -r XXX -U
XXX%XXX.

To test I did the following:

Used smbclient -L (samba and domain server) -U domain+user%password. I
was able to get connected to the servers. and get to the information
that only the user was able to get to.

wbinfo -t = could not check the secret.
wbinfo - m = could not list trusted domains
wbinfo - u = error looking up domain users.

Is there any configuration that I need to do with LDAP?

Thanks again!

Configuration files:

smb.conf:
[global]
winbind separator = +
winbind cache time = 10
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
workgroup = BHL
netbios name = SAMBA
server string = Samba 2.2.5
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%M
loglevel = 1
max log size = 50
security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = 10.7.2.15
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
wins server = 10.7.2.15
wins proxy = no
dns proxy = no
wins support = no
# add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
# delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
interfaces = 10.7.2.16/16

[home]
comment = Unix Home Dir.
path = %H
writable = yes
valid users = %S
browseable =no
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775

[data]
comment = bhl data
path = /home/data
public = no
writable = yes
browseable = yes
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775

[dvd]
comment = DVD drive
path = /mnt/cdrom
public = yes
writable = no
browseable = yes
[rpms]
comment = RedHat RPMS
path = /home/rpms
read only = no
writable = yes
public = yes
browseable = yes
create mode = 0764
directory mode = 0775

[Unix]
comment = Unix drive
path = /
public = yes
writable = no
browseable = yes

/etc/pam_smb.conf:
domain
domain DC

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
passwd: files winbind nisplus
shadow: files nisplus
group: files winbind nisplus

/etc/pam.d/system-auth and samba files:
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so (added this to both of the
files.)