[Samba] Precedence of usernames w/Winbind

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Sun Jul 14 07:50:03 GMT 2002

> Nir Soffer wrote:
> >
> > I might be missing obvious here, but here goes:
> >
> > Samba 2.2.4.
> >
> > Using "winbind use default domain = <DOMAIN>" option usernames map
> > correctly, however, when logging on from an W2K machine I still get
> > the autogenerated UID instead of my NIS (Or /etc/passwd) UID.
>
> Two points:
>
> Why are you running winbind?  It seems you really just want
> 'security=domain', and don't need winbindd.

I'd like to have winbind supply the username and the UID in the case
that
the user doesn't exist in the YP map. (As I'd expect from the semantic
of
anything implemented with NSS).

> Secondly.  'winbind use sdefault domain =' is *NOT SUPPORTED* in 2.2.
> The option exists only becouse of a merge from HEAD, where we
> completed
> implementation.  The 2.2 code has *known flaws* with this option in
> effect.

Okey doke. I just looked at the code and saw that it was there. Is there
place I can hope to find a list of those known flaws?

> It does a lookup of 'domain\username' actually, and gets the UID from
> there.

I guess that's one of the known flaws thing, because
getent passwd <username> works perfectly. Oh well. Any chance of this
matter being taken care of in 2.2?

Thanks a lot!

Nir.
--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son