[Samba] Win98s and Samba

Aton aton at skyenet.net
Sun Jul 14 07:36:02 GMT 2002

At 08:42 PM 7/13/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I am relatively new to linux and Samba and I am having some difficulties
>setting Samba up as a Primary Domain Controller.
>
>Ihave read the Pdf document called "Using Samba as a PDC" by
>developrWorks and I have read most of the Howto documents relating to Samba.
>
>When I try to connect to my samba server with Win98se I get the message
>"no Domain server was able to validate your password...".
>
>[global]
>
>   workgroup = springfield
>   netbios name = homer
>   server string = homer samba server %v
>   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>
>   os level = 64
>   preferred master = yes
>   local master = yes
>   domain master = yes
>   wins support = yes
>   security = user
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   domain logons = yes
>   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>   max log size = 50
>   log level = 2

This is all good

>   hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

This may not be. Try commenting this line out, then it will allow any host to connect to it.

>;   logon script = %m.bat
>;   logon script = %U.bat
>
>;   logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
>   logon home = \\%L\%U
>   logon drive = H:

>   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
>   logon script = netlogon.bat

Same with these. I believe if one of your paths are incorrect, it'll fail. \\%L\Profiles\%U is all relative to the user, so its easy to have these wrong.

Also, I'd comment out the netlogon and profiles shares below. If you can't get it to work at all, make it as simple as possible and build from there. Once again, if /var/lib/samba/netlogon doesn't exist, or the rights aren't correct, samba will get pissed. Once you get it working with the bare minimum, start adding things, one at a time.