[Samba] PDC Migration to Samba

Tim Allen timallen at ls83.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 14 02:48:01 GMT 2002

Hi

I've been trying to finally switch off our NT4 PDC over the last few months
and transfer PDC duties to our Samba file server. Although I have no
difficulty in getting the Samba box to authenticate users as the PDC, I have
never been able to migrate the user's settings over. As far as the clients
(NT4 and W2K) are concerned, users effectively start with a "clean slate"
i.e. effectively a new user (or existing user on a new machine), on logging
on to the Samba PDC for the first time.

We've never used roaming profiles, they're all local because all our clients
are set up very differently.

Steps taken to migrate users:

1. Extracted user and machine accounts from NT4 PDC using pwdump2 to
generate smbpasswd.
2. Obtained domain SID from NT4 PDC using rpcclient lsaquery and placed in
MACHINE.SID.
3. Matched /etc/passwd to smbpasswd (user and machine accounts). Globally
changed uid's on all files on Samba box to match uid's from NT4 PDC.
4. Added PDC stuff to smb.conf.
5. Deleted secrets.tdb. Switched off NT4 PDC and restarted Samba.

Log on from client as existing user with no problem but get the "Welcome to
Windows" dialog as for new user at the client machine. What is the client
noticing that's different??!! The Netbios names for the NT4 and Samba
machines are (naturally) different. Is that an issue? Even though we're not
using roaming profiles, is there further stuff I need to bring over from the
NT4 PDC?

If anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong here I'd be very grateful.

smb.conf below.

Tim Allen

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = DCAE
        netbios name = GOLUX
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 500
        large readwrite = Yes
        time server = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8760
SO_RCVBUF=8760
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes