[Samba] Precedence of usernames w/Winbind

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Sun Jul 14 01:16:02 GMT 2002

I might be missing obvious here, but here goes:

Samba 2.2.4.

Using "winbind use default domain = <DOMAIN>" option usernames map
correctly, however, when logging on from an W2K machine I still get
the autogenerated UID instead of my NIS (Or /etc/passwd) UID.

Both nis and files precede winbind in /etc/nsswitch.conf

Commenting out winbind from /etc/nsswitch.conf works, which means
there isn't some magic piece of code that communicates with winbind
directly.

If so - how come I get assigned my winbind UID and not my /etc/passwd
UID? What exactly am I missing?

I was under the impression that all Samba does with lookups is a
getpw* and doesn't muck about. Running getent passwd put my NIS UID
_before_ the winbind UID. Shouldn't that mean that I would be assigned
my normal UID before it turns to the autogenerated one?

Thanks!
Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son