[Samba] win2k client slow with samba 2.2.3.a - maybe a bug?

webmaster webmaster at summitinstruments.com
Sat Jul 13 10:50:03 GMT 2002

This sure looks like a bug but maybe a configuration error on my
part.

I am trying to migrate out current OS/2 Warp 4 based file server to
Samba. We have OS/2, Win98, WinNT4, and Win2k clients.  I set Samba
2.2.3a up to use security = SHARE as this appears to be the closest
to what the OS/2 Warp4 based system supports. All clients are able to
access the files on the Samba service but loading files from the
Win2k client takes many times longer than any of the other clients.
For example, to load and run a 830K program from the OS/2 based file
server takes about two seconds on all Windows clients (98, NT4, and
2k) but on the Samba server the same program takes about two seconds
when loaded from 98 or NT4 but when loaded from a Win2k client takes
anywhere from 12 to 17 seconds.

Here is the smb.conf file I am using:

[global]
	      workgroup = IBMGROUP
      netbios name = SAMBA
	      server string = Samba %v
      security = SHARE
      lm announce = True
      wins support = Yes

       guest account = ftp
       guest ok = yes

[homes]
       read only = No

[test]
       path = /srv/test
       guest only = yes

As you can see it is pretty basic. I have spend the last week reading
postings and trying performance ideas but nothing seems to make much
difference. Is this slow Win2k performance a bug? or have I missed
something?

Arne R. van der Heyde
vanderHeydeAR at summitinstruments.com

PS I have tried installing Samba 2.2.5 but have not had any luck
getting it installed and running properly.  I got it to work with
Win2k (still slow) but get authorization errors from WinNT4, so I
have gone back to the Samba 2.2.3a which came with SuSE 8.0) which
seems to work with all the clients.