[Samba] Multiboot and machine trust accounts

David Bellamy bellamy at commerce.uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 12 23:29:01 GMT 2002

I have client running windows 2000 which is part of a domain with a samba
(2.2.3a) server running as PDC.  Authentication works fine.  On the _same_
client I have added a partition that boots into Win XP, it has the same
machine name.  However I cannot get it to join the domain. I can use
the  administrator account to look at objects on the pdc, but when I try to
create a user account I get a failed trust relationships error.

I'm guessing that this is consequence of the win 2000 version changing the
machine account password from the well know password, so that the Win XP
version cannot initialise the session key.

Is a win 2000 + XP multiboot configuration workable?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've RTFM and used google to search
for answers without success.

TIA